Financial support for live-in care

There are several possibilities to obtain funding towards the costs of live-in care, and our live-in care team can guide you towards the available resources.

On this page, we discuss some of the most accessible alternatives for financial support for home care. If you have further questions about funding possibilities, do not hesitate to send us an email at or give us a call at 01432 382 017.

1. Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a benefit for people over State Pension age, who need help with personal care or supervision because of illness or disability. It is a weekly contribution that can be spent on all type of costs – which can but do not have to include live-in care. Attendance Allowance is not means-tested, so it doesn’t matter how many incomes or savings you have.

2. Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people under State Pension age, who may need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term illness or disability. PIP has replaced the Disability Living Allowance. Like the Attendance Allowance, PIP is not means-tested.

3.  NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC) Funding

NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC) is a source of funding for people who have a ‘primary health need’, like a condition or an illness that requires a certain level of care. Eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare is assessed by your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).


When you are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, this means that the NHS will pay for your healthcare and associated social care needs. The funding is not dependent on a particular diagnosis, or on who provides the care.

For more information see your local CCG website:

4. Local Authority Funding

If you require support with carrying out day-to-day tasks in your own home due to ill-health, frailty, after being discharged from hospital, your Local Authority may contribute fully or partially towards the costs of paying for care at home. Local Authority funding is means tested.

If you are eligible for local authority funding, you can request to receive direct payments from the council, which you can use to arrange and pay for home care services yourself.

Contact your local authority to request a free care needs assessment. You can use this link to find out where your nearest Local Authority Needs Assessment service is.

5. Charities

There are several charities who provide financial support for home care. For example, some of our clients have been able to obtain financial support from SSAFA, the Armed Forces Charity that supports older veterans.

Turn2us is a national charity that helps people with financial support. They are a good starting point to find charities that offer financial support to fund home care.

6. Insurance

Insurance is often overlooked as a potential source of funding for home care services. There are certain insurance policies that may cover home care costs, such as life insurance with critical illness cover, a joint policy that covers illness, a terminal illness cover connected to a mortgage policy, or some over-50s plans.

The Money Advice Service provides information about how to claim on insurance to cover the costs of care.

Next page:

We can answer all your questions about live-in care.